Custom Search

Wednesday 20 January 2010

Sania Decides to Give Up Tennis after Marriage



23-year-old Sania Mirza went down to Aravane Rezai of France at the first round of singles event at Australian Open. Post the match Sania answered many questions like how her experience in Australia was considering the racial attacks by the Australians on Indian students last year as well as about her decision to give up tennis after marriage.

"I've said that all my life. I don't know (how) it's become breaking news two days ago," said Sania.

"They're acting like I'm getting married tomorrow and giving up the day after tomorrow. That's not happening.

"There are a lot of things you have to work out when two people get to that stage of marriage. It's still a long way off," added the Indian tennis star.

Sania engaged to her childhood friend Sohrab Mirza in July last year. However date of their wedding is not yet fixed. Meanwhile, Sania said that her father and fiancé have supported her decision.

Concerned with the whole drama created by Indian press, Sania later added, "It's just my personal choice. I mean I just think that after marriage your priorities change in a lot of different ways," she said. "If I had to keep playing tennis and travel 35 weeks a year, why get married? I'd like to be with my husband, I think."

Although, Sania has exited from singles event of the on-going Grand Slam- Australian Open, her campaign still remains with women's doubles and mixed doubles event. Last year Sania won the mixed doubles title at the event along with compatriot Mahesh Bhupathi, with which she became the first Indian women to win a Grand Slam title.

No comments:

Post a Comment